Essential Settings To Do After WordPress Installation
Just installed WordPress ?…So you made it! WOW for you.
Now what Next?
Let me help you to step-up the first step towards your goal..Being Blogger,off course.
After installing the WordPress first time there are few essential settings to do,first of all.These are the basic essential settings to give a start for the process.In this post I will show you the top 10 settings you should settle right after your fresh WordPress installation.
- 1 Top 8 Essential Settings After Fresh WordPress Installation
- 1.1 1. Delete Default Posts, Page & Comment :
- 1.2 2. Set-up WordPress Permalink :
- 1.3 3. Set The Title, Tagline, Time Zone And Date :
- 1.4 4. Disable User Registration :
- 1.5 5. Discourage Search Engines From Indexing Your Blog :
- 1.6 6. Choosing WWW URL or Non-WWW URL :
- 1.7 7. Change Media Setting :
- 1.8 8. Get Rid Of Unused Themes And Plugins :
Top 8 Essential Settings After Fresh WordPress Installation
1. Delete Default Posts, Page & Comment :
When you install WordPress for the first time, WordPress welcomes you with some sample content which you need to delete.
- Login to your WordPress dashboard > Posts > All Posts > Delete the default “Hello World” post.
- Go to Pages > All Pages > Delete the sample page.
Similarly, opt the same procedure with default comment.
The default WordPress permalink structure is not SEO friendly as it does not contain any readable keywords.Default permalink structure is something like http://yourdomain.com/p=123. Lets change it to something more user as well as SEO friendly.
- Go to Settings > Permalink > Choose the “Post name” from the given options.
3. Set The Title, Tagline, Time Zone And Date :
You can access and change these settings according to your preference under the general setting tab.
- Go to Setting > General
TITLE : Note that your title and domain name should be same. It is not necessary but it is recommended to your domain name and your tile should be same in order to prevent the users from getting confused.
TAGLINE : Your tagline should describe your blog .Keep it as short & precise as you can.
DATE & TIME-ZONE : Change the time and date setting according your location and preferences.
4. Disable User Registration :
If you want to enable guest-posting keep your user registration open. But do use proper measures for spams. But if you are the single author/writer or you do not need to register new people then you should disable this option.
- Go to Setting > General Setting > Membership > Check/Uncheck > Save
5. Discourage Search Engines From Indexing Your Blog :
When you install WordPress it is in initial phase. It might take few days or possibly weeks to add content to your blog.
Lets take an example :
During setting up your menus and pages, you created two pages for your blog but you don’t like them and delete after some time. But what if these pages are indexed by search engines already ? They will shown up in the search results and when a user go to the page url, they get 404 not found error.
To prevent this, you can stop search engines to index your content until you are not ready to publish. You can do the same by enabling the discourage search engines from indexing this site. Here is the procedure :
- Go to Setting > Reading > Search Engines Visibility > Check : Discourage search engines from indexing this site.
6. Choosing WWW URL or Non-WWW URL :
You can choose your blog URL to start with or without www. There is no difference as well as no SEO advantages and disadvantages of these two variants. You can choose according to your choice. But choose once and don’t change the URL frequently.
The main reason behind this is, that search engines will index your blog/site with two different URLs. The two different URLs will lead to same content and thus lead to content duplication. This can hamper your site SEO and search engine rankings.
To choose the blog URL follow the steps below :
- Go to setting > General > WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL)
7. Change Media Setting :
Change the default image location to make your blog image URLs short and SEO-friendly. Follow these steps :
- Go to Settings > Media > Uploading Files : Disable Organize my uploads into month and year based folders option > Save
8. Get Rid Of Unused Themes And Plugins :
Delete the themes and plugins you are not going to use. What’s the point in having a large collection of themes and plugins you never gonna use. This not only increase the server load but some plugins can interfere with your site functioning even after deactivation. So its better to delete them right away.
These are the most essential settings to do after a fresh WordPress installation.Switch these settings as described in above steps and you are good to go to next level.
If you still have any question regarding any WordPress setting, drop a comment below.Like and share this post with your friends and help them to settle things down.